The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Clearinghouse is a secure online database that will give employers real-time information about commercial driver’s license (CDL) driver drug and alcohol program violations.
This new database will make it more difficult for drivers to conceal their drug and alcohol program violations from current or prospective employers. The system will also make it easier for employers to meet their pre-employment investigation and reporting obligations.
Who is required to use the Clearinghouse Database?
- Drivers who need to give consent for full queries
- Employers of CDL drivers who operate commercial motor vehicles (CMV)
- Consortia/Third Party Administrators
- Medical Review Officers
- Substance Abuse Professionals
- State Drivers Licensing Agencies
Important dates/action plans to remember:
October 2019 - Create your user account ahead of implementation date https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/Register
November 2019 - Query Plans available for purchase
- Cost - $1.25/query
January 6, 2020 – Full implementation date
- Employers must begin using (query) the Clearinghouse as well as continuing with inquiries to previous employers. Employers must also report drug and alcohol violations
- Note: Employer must have consent/authorization to conduct a limited query. Download a sample limited consent form
- Drivers must register in the clearinghouse to provide consent for full queries (including pre-employment queries).
GET NEWS AND UPDATES AT: https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov