As the situation in Ukraine evolves, businesses should be mindful of potential risks to their people, assets, operations, or supply chains in the region and globally. Marsh, as part of the Marsh McLennan family of companies, has created a page with information, tools, and resources related to the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Please visit the page for the latest information.

Build awareness

Bring awareness to community resources with sensitivity.

Consider leveraging programs such as employee assistance programs (EAPs), worksite clinics, concierge services, and social services like food shelves to meet social needs. 

To build awareness of the needs of your employees and their families, consider the following:

Normalize the need for help. According to the USDA, almost 90% of U.S. households were food secure in 2020, leaving 10% of households food insecure at some point during the year. CNBC reports that two-thirds of people who file for bankruptcy cite medical issues as a key contributor to their financial downfall.  Sharing messages like this helps employees recognize they are not alone in facing financial hardship. By normalizing needs, employers help employees understand that you care about their well-being and can connect them to resources if they are facing a time of hardship. 

Communicate often. Communicate information about employer-provided and publicly available social benefits to the broad employee audience and follow up by posting detailed information in spaces such as the company intranet, bathrooms, and break rooms. Change the content of these messages routinely with updated social benefit information (i.e., local food resources). Consider inviting onsite EAP counselors to share about their services and request that they share information about publicly available benefits and how to access them.

Train leaders. Train frontline leaders with information about employer-provided and community benefits, benefit eligibility, how to identify those who may qualify, and techniques in how to have sensitive conversations. Most EAP counselors can help with this type of leadership training. 

Incorporate SDoH into your organization’s well-being strategy. Recognize that SDoH accounts for 80% of a person’s well-being, and include access to social resources as part of the organization’s annual well-being strategy. 

Local resources. Often, social resources are specific to a particular community. Involve employees/well-being committees in helping to identify resources unique to their community. One tool that identifies resources by zip code is findhelp.org. Access this tool online or by a free app.

Social determinants of health playbook steps

Behavioral change programs that aim to promote well-being and medical benefits alone will not be as effective if social determinants are not addressed. By addressing the social determinants of health, organizations can enhance the overall well-being of team members and their families by levelling the playing field so that all employees have an opportunity to thrive. This playbook explains where to start, what to do, and shares resources on how to do it. We will focus on four steps.